The council has agreed a Constitution setting out how it operates, how decisions are made, and the procedures followed to make sure these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people.
Some of these processes are required by law, while others are a matter for the council.
· The constitution document includes:
· a summary and explanation
· articles committing the council to providing open responsive local government and leadership, explaining the rights of citizens and how the key parts of the council operate
· responsibility for functions by various committees, the executive, plus delegated powers to individual members of the executive and officers
· rules of procedure
· codes and protocols
· members' allowances scheme
Current Constitution – updated 16 July 2019